In simple terms, obesity is being about overly fat or overweight, but in medical terms, it is about having at least an extra 20% in weight in relation to height. People suffer from obesity because of various reasons. It may be because of poor diet decisions, like overconsumption of calories in relation to calories that can be burned or of unhealthy food products such as potato chips and soft drinks. It may be because of the lack of physical activities, like failure to get adequate exercise. It may also be because of other medical conditions, such as eating and sleeping disorders.
Whatever the cause of obesity is, it doesn’t change the fact that it has negative effects on the person who suffer from it. The website of GastroCare LI has made a list of effects that obese people can experience on a daily basis:
- Back pain
- Difficulty sleeping
- Inability to participate in physical activities
- Increased sweating
Because of the effects listed above, you may think that obesity is merely an inconvenience, but it is more than just a hassle. It can make you more prone to certain medical conditions.
- Cancer – Obesity has been known to be linked to the development of certain types of cancers, particularly those that involve the colon and kidney.
- Diabetes – Being obese puts a person at greater risk of Type 2 Diabetes because of the blood sugar level effects of overeating, overconsumption of unhealthy products, and lack of physical activity.
- Heart Problems – High blood pressure and high cholesterol level are likely conditions for those who are overweight, and these conditions may put enough strain into the heart, resulting into heart problems and even stroke.
- Sleep Apnea – This is a condition wherein a person has brief pauses during sleep, and obese people are more likely to experience it. This may result into unsatisfying rests and daytime tiredness, which may further increase the likelihood of heart problems.